Saturday, January 10, 2009

In Loving Memory of Ebony

Chad & Ebony

This past Tuesday January 6, 2009 there was a tragic accident that took the life of my nephew's girlfriend. She was on her way home and the road was icy and she lost control of her car and swerved into a coal truck and the car burst into flames and took her life. She was only 20 years old. It was a real shock to her family and also my sister's family. We went to the funeral today. Of course it was a closed casket. There was a beautiful picture of her and also one of Ebony with Chad that had been taken just before Christmas. Hundreds of people came to show their love to the family. Chad and Ebony had been together for almost 1 and 1/2 years. Needless to say my sister and her family had grown to love her and will miss her very much.
I found this poem at Denny's poems and Quotes and it really makes you think how short life can be when you hear of such a tragedy. It sounds really sad when you hear of these accidents, but when they are part of your family you realize just how sad it really is and it makes you think.

If I Knew
If I knew it would be the last time that I see you walk out the door, I would give you a hug and kiss and call you back for one more.
If I knew it would be the last time I'd hear your voice lifted up in praise, I would video tape each action and word, so I could play them back day after day.
If I knew it would be the last time I would be there to share your day, Well I'm sure you'll have so many more, so I can let just this one slip away.
For surely there's always tomorrow to make up for an oversight, and we always get a second chance to make everything just right
Tomorrow is not promised to anyone, young or old alike, And today may be the last chance you get to hold your loved one tight.
So if you're waiting for tomorrow, why not do it today?For if tomorrow never comes,you'll surely regret the day,
That you didn't take that extra time for a smile, a hug, or a kiss and you were too busy to grant someone, what turned out to be their one last wish.
So hold your loved ones close today,and whisper in their ear, Tell them how much you love them and that you'll always hold them dear
Take time to say "I'm sorry,""Please forgive me," "Thank you," or "It's okay."And if tomorrow never comes,you'll have no regrets about today
This is one of my favorite bible verses and I saw it on one of the throws which was a gift at the funeral home today. I know only the Lord can help ease their pain and I am praying they will look to him for comfort.
Proverbs 3: 5-6
Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

What a beautiful tribute to Ebony. I know she was loved so much by Chad and his family and she will be forever missed. I pray that they too can draw comfort from these words and that they would learn to lean on the only one who can heal the hurt, Jesus Christ.

Anonymous said...

I'm so pleased you could attend Ebony's funeral, and I am sure you being there was a comfort to her family, your nephew and your sister. The words of that poem are so true. Praying that all those who loved and knew Ebony will find real comfort in their grief. Seeing her beautiful photo makes it even more real that Ebony was a real and loved part of the lives of her family, friends and loved ones. God bless. xx

Anonymous said...

Doc told me of your family's tragic loss and I send my sympathy.
It was just a terrible, terrible tragedy.